Breastfeeding is the best first food. It provides essential nutrients and protective antibodies for your baby. Here are just some of the benefits of breastfeeding.
- A healthier baby and long-term health protections.
- It’s free!
- No need to prepare or clean bottles.
- Helps speed up post-partum healing.
- It can help you lose weight, reduce stress and lower risk of post-partum depression.
- Lots of time for cuddles!
While breastfeeding can be a wonderful way to bond with baby, it can also be challenging. Find tips and support for feeding, pumping and for problems commonly faced by breastfeeding mothers from the local resources and links below.
La Leche League of the Peninsula
Helping breastfeeding mothers through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information and education.
Nursing Mothers Counsel
NMC is a non-affiliated, non-profit organization whose goal is to help mothers and their babies enjoy a relaxed and happy feeding relationship.
Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
WIC helps you learn how to eat healthy, supports breastfeeding and helps you afford healthy food.
Exclusive breastfeeding has also been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. More information about safe sleep.